Friday, March 1, 2013

New Favorite - Spicy Chili!!

It was cold here last week.  I know - a girl from southern California doesn't know what cold really is right?  And I can't argue that so let me try again - it was cold for our part of the country!  30s at night and 50s during the day - that is seriously freezing weather for us!  So what tastes better when you are shivering??  A nice hot pot of chili!  I blew it and should have taken photos of the ingredients and more of the prep, but I am still learning how to do this right - bear with me please.

This recipe was inspired by Monique at Ambitious Kitchen.  Here is her recipe for Pinto Bean Chicken Chili.  It looked great, but I had ground turkey to use up and wanted to add in my growing supply of dried beans so I made a lot of changes.  I was hoping I could not go too wrong throwing in what I wanted to use and I was right!!  But she gets credit for the inspiration.

It also was fun to pull out my Ninja Cooking System..  I LOVE this NEW appliance.




Yes I am a kitchen gadget junkie - just ask my kids. On second thought, please don't!  It won't be nice!!! LOL  But I did just got one for my daughter because I love it so much......

So it was so easy to saute the onions and garlic and brown the ground turkey on the STOVETOP function and then switch it over to SLOW COOK (low)  and set it for 8 hours. (you can set if for any time you desire and then it will keep it warm once it hits that time.........)  It is my new favorite appliance.  Never fear - I change favorites depending on the weather, my mood, and if it did what I wanted it to (vs. doing what it is supposed to do!!)  Agreed??

I know you aren't supposed to take the lid off - but it smelled TOO good!!





So  here is my recipe thanks to Monique.  I really do want to try hers with the chicken breasts as I am sure it is fabulous!

PINTO BEAN TURKEY CHILI
(adapted from Ambitious Kitchen)
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2-3 fresh Roma tomatoes
  • 6 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 3-6 tablespoons Penzey's  Spice Chili 6000** (a great blend of heat!)
  • 1-2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1-2 teaspoons salt
  • fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1/2 pound dried pinto beans
  • 1/2 pound dried black beans
  • 1 pound package frozen petite white corn
  • 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes in juice
  •  2 1/2 + cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1-2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon                          
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more to taste 
 ** If you don't have a favorite chili seasoning blend, use a combination of chili powder, cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper (depending on how "hot" you like it!)

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CROCK POT OR NINJA COOKING SYSTEM

1.  The night before, soak the dried pinto beans and dried black beans in water overnight.  You can soak them together but some of the pinto beans will be a lovely shade of purple in the morning!!  That was an interesting surprise!!  Rinse several times and drain before using in the morning.(once cooked the purple disappears!!)
2.  Heat olive oil in a large skillet or Ninja Cooking System, over medium high heat until nice and hot.  Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté until the onion is soft and translucent, abut 6-8 minutes.  Add the garlic and the ground turkey and cook until the turkey loses its pink color. Then a  Then add the seasonings and red pepper flakes, the canned tomatoes, drained dried beans, tomato paste, chicken broth and frozen corn. Stir well and let cook for about 8 hours on low.



Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. YUM YUM YUM!!!! That looks AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny - you are my faithful follower!!! It is super yummy!!

      Delete