Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Amazing Apples





It was cold and dreary out when I decided that it was the perfect time to try an apple recipe that my neighbor had shared with me.  I had not been able to get the incredible flavor of this recipe out of my mind since I tasted them.  This was not your ordinary, run of the mill, cooked apple concoction......this  was delectable.  The apples tasted like the most delicious, scrumptious apple pie you have ever eaten - but there was no  the pie crust. I could not figure out how she got that tantalizing flavor ...but I should have known......... it was the BUTTER.  What a difference it made to saute the apple slices slowly in butter. YUMMMMMMMMM!!


 I made a HUGE pot because I wanted to use a wide variety of apples  - doubling the recipe so I would not run out for a while!   I have eaten them plain, with Cool Whip, on hot oatmeal, and with caramel crunch frozen yogurt.  And honestly, there are probably a dozen more ways to use them and I love them just plain best of all.  This recipe is a MUST TRY.  Thank you Lo'Vetta for being such a caring and giving neighbor.  I will never think of apples the same way!!
  


Lo'Vetta's Amazing Apples

Peel 6-8 apples and slice them into a bowl with the juice of one Meyer lemon.  With the addition of each apple, toss in the lemon juice so you are constantly coating the apples with the juice.


Take a stock pot (enameled or cast iron - be sure you have enough room to properly toss the apples) and melt 3-4 Tablespoons of butter in the pan over medium high.  Add the apples and saute in the butter, stirring every 2-3 minutes.  



In between stirring, add cinnamon and allspice to taste.  (I love Penzey's Spices apple pie blend). If you have fresh nutmeg, grind a little in at this point (it adds great flavor and anything fresh is better!)  After stirring in the spices, add 3 Tablespoons brown sugar, stir and then add 3-4 Tablespoons real maple syrup (I use Grade B - it has more flavor for cooking).  Toss in a handful of dried cranberries and stir.  Cook 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally (and tasting too!!), until the apples are done.  They can be as crunchy or soft as you like.



Toward the end add some water so there is enough juice, and then combine about  1/2 cup of apple juice with 1 Tablespoon cornstarch, mix, and add to thicken the sauce.  This gives them a beautiful glazed look.   Turn off the heat and let stand until it is time to serve them.  They refrigerate beautifully and keep for quite a long time (if you can leave them alone that long!!)



NOTE:  Remember, I doubled the recipe and used a combination of apples:   Braeburn, Gala, Fuji, Pink Lady, Ambrosia, Pinata, and Honeycrisp.  It was a great blend!!

Apples unadorned and perfectly wonderful for breakfast, lunch or dinner!   


Morning oatmeal with cooked apples!

Apples with Caramel Crunch Frozen Yogurt
 I am sure you will come up with your own special ways to enjoy these apples.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I have!!


Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Oh snap girl..........
    STOP!!!!!
    My mouth is watering and my waist is growing!!!!
    Hugs and prayers,
    **U**
    Nance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Nance!! Hey these are healthy - if you ignore the butter -- and there isn't that much sugar in them!! Just make them and enjoy!! :)

      Delete