Friday, October 25, 2013

Cards for the Family!

My oldest son's wife is a fashion diva.  She looks like she just walked off the cover of Vogue most of the time.  And she is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside.  My son is certainly blessed.

I tease her about her love for shoes.  She adores high heels, I mean REALLY high heels and she wears them well.  The funny thing is she is already six feet tall so she certainly doesn't need the height .  I don't blame her at all. If I could wear those 5 inch heels without destroying my body I would, because they just look so wonderful!!

So..... with that in mind..... I had no choice but to make her a card that embraced one of her loves.  I found the perfect cutting file at The Cutting Cafe. It was a shoe shaped card that I thought it would be fun to make and decorate. But then I had an idea to use the card as an embellishment and put a card on a card.  It was definitely something different for me but it was fun to play around with different ideas.


Where the shoe opens up I wrote "Happy Birthday" in a white gel pen.  You can see all of the dimension of the card in this photo.

The card base is a Coredinations paper - I like the "tweedy" look of it.  The dotted paper (on the shoe) is from Bo Bunny. I took the black Sakura glaze pen and went over each dot (who does that??) to give the dots dimension.  It really went fast and I have to say I really like the added texture!!  The heel is glittered paper from American Crafts and it is easy to cut on the Silver Bullet because the glitter is as smooth as silk, so no damage to the blades!  I think it might be fun to wear a pair of shoes that looked like these (for maybe 10 minutes or so!!)


Really happy with how this card came out.  She loves red and black so hopefully will love this too1


And a week later there is another celebration - their wedding anniversary. I think Scott planned it that way so it would be easier to remember (not that he would ever forget...!)  So once the birthday card was finished it was time to work on the anniversary card.  Am I the only one who struggles with those?  I was at a loss for ideas so I defaulted to their wedding colors which were maroon and navy blue - striking really.  It is so hard to believe that this is their second anniversary.


You can clearly see the positive and negative images of both the rose frame cut and the sentiment.  I rescued all of the extra cuts for a future project!

The design is elegant but simple - another one from Birds Cards.  And all of the papers are from Paper Temptress. That should come as no surprise by now!  I am clearly addicted to her papers!  And using the Silver Bullet Pro Cutter guaranteed that I would have a positive and negative image - again - so I have pieces set aside for another card in the future.  Love it!


A close up of the sentiment and detail of the cut.

I kept this card pretty basic with a popped up mix and match sentiment , again from Birds Cards, and just added some pearls and pre-made roses from Wild Orchid Crafts (they have some  beautiful flowers if you are not familiar with the site and need to add to your stash!)


And the final product. The bow was made with my new Bow It All tool.  It is my favorite bowmaker (and I have tried a lot of them!)


Hope you enjoyed these two celebratory cards.  I have one more family member that will need a card the end of the month, so stay tuned for more!  
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment