Saturday, October 5, 2013

Banana Muffins with Dark Chocolate - low sugar and Truvia Baking Tips!

Bananas and Chocolate - what a great excuse to incorporate dark chocolate into the breakfast menu, right? Well,  these are going to be a staple. They are not overly sweet, but have just enough chocolate to make them feel decadent, without leaving overwhelming guilt in their wake!

I took this recipe and reduced the sugar with Truvia Baking Blend as I have been doing with most of the recipes of late.  I have been wondering if it made a difference in the finished product since I was reducing a quantity of an ingredient in half - so did that give me less batter in reality?  I wondered, but that was as far as I got until my friend, Nance asked a question about substituting regular Truvia for the Baking Blend.
Thank goodness Truvia has a conversion chart or you would need to have a math degree to figure it out!! But in finding that for her, I discovered some great tips for getting the best product possible when using the Baking Blend.

I will assume that you all know when you use the Blend that you reduce the sugar stated in half. So if the recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar, you substitute 1/2 cup  Truvia Baking Blend.  But here are the tips.  Add 1/4-1/2 tsp. of baking soda to help increase the volume.  And..... substitute at least 1/2 of the butter or shortening with oil.  I used both tips in this recipe and my muffins rose more and seemed a bit lighter.  I love learning the little tricks that make things look as good as they taste!!

So here is my latest muffin treat that is lower in sugar and tastes OH SO GOOD!!



Low Sugar Banana Muffins with Dark Chocolate

adapted from Buns in My Oven

1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup Truva Baking Blend
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 bar (3.5 oz) 80% dark cocoa/dark chocolate, chopped (I used the bar from Trader Joe's)

Spray a muffin tin with non stick spray and set aside.

In a mixer, blend butter, oil and Baking Blend until creamy.  Add the eggs, one at a time and beat until they are well mixed.  Continue beating and add the vanilla.  Then add the bananas (premashed or whole if they are really ripe), and blend them in well.

Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  Gently mix into the batter and finally fold in the chopped chocolate.

Fill the muffin tin 1/2-3/4 full and bake in a 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.  Check to be sure they are done by inserting a toothpick in the center.  Remove and let sit for 10 minutes, and then remove from the muffin pan and let cool on a wire rack.  YUMMMMM!!!

Makes 12 large muffins.


Banana batter with chopped dark chocolate - flavor sensation!


Ready for the oven with a surprise of vanilla sugar on top!


Fresh from the oven...


Yes the first bite is THAT good!

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment