Thursday, June 27, 2013

Nectarine Cinnamon Scones




Disclaimer:  I didn't think I really liked scones.  It is probably because the ones I have tried were over-processed when kneading, so they were dry and unexciting.  I think that has all changed now!!

The inspiration for this recipe came from Created by Diane.  She cleverly paired nectarines with white chocolate chips and that was my intent until I started pulling ingredients out of the pantry... and there it was.  A bag of cinnamon chips from King Arthur Flour. I had not even opened them yet, but was looking for an excuse to use them and this was it.  I made a few other changes to the recipe and am really happy with the results.  I was worried that the flavor of the cinnamon chips would overpower the scones, but they ended up giving a yummy melt in your mouth light cinnamon smoothness to the flavor. Because they are mini, you don't get the texture of the chip; just the flavor and it worked wonderfully with the almond extract and nectarines!

NECTARINE AND CINNAMON CHIP SCONES

Adapted from Created by Diane (link above)

2 cups flour, plus additional for kneading
1/4 cup sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cold butter
1/4 cup skim milk
1 Tbsp. dry buttermilk powder
1 tsp. almond extract
2 eggs
1 cup diced nectarines
1/2 cup cinnamon chips (King Arthur makes mini cinnamon chips)

Directions:

Cut the nectarines into small, diced cubes and toss in 1 Tbsp. flour.  Set aside.



Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and dry buttermilk powder.  Add the cold butter in small pieces (makes it easier to blend) and cut in with a pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly.

Mix milk, eggs, and almond extract and add to the crumb mixture.  It will be very sticky!  Add the diced nectarines and cinnamon chips and turn out onto a floured surface.



Knead lightly and pat into a circle about 9 inches round..


 Cut into 8 wedges with a knife or pizza cutter (that works great!)  Place on a parchment lined baking sheet or in a scone pan.



Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool for 10 and remove from pan.






AFTERTHOUGHT:  Sprinkling a little cinnamon sugar on top would have been yummy had I thought of it early enough instead of after I had already eaten one!!



These pictures are making even me hungry!! LOL  And they warm up beautifully. I had a one for breakfast this morning.  YUMMMM!  I wanted a second, but behaved!


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment