Saturday, September 7, 2013

"Healthy" Blueberry Coffeecake! - Low Sugar


I have so enjoyed experimenting this summer with fruits of the season and blueberries have been at the top of my list.  I needed a break from the muffin madness that has taken over my kitchen so decided to give this already healthy coffee cake recipe a try.  I substituted greek yogurt for sour cream and used sugar baking blends to make it even lower in sugar. I am really pleased with how it came out.  It is flavorful, soft, very moist and just plain delicious.... and it made my kitchen smell wonderful.

Now the one thing in question is why would I want to bake when the humidity is up and it's supposed to be 90 degrees today??  Well the answer is simple - why not?? I started relatively early so the heat inside would dissipate before the heat outside took over!  It's crazy but I don't claim to always make sense!  I have learned that during the summer I need to keep my baking to early in the day or late in the evening - anything else truly IS crazy!!

I hope you will try this and be as delighted with the results as I was.  I love the creations of Marlene Koch and have never had one of her recipes fail, even when I shift the ingredients a bit!


Can you see the size of those blueberries??  They were super-sized!!

BLUE RIBBON YOGURT COFFEE CAKE

adapted from "Eat What You Love" by Marlene Koch

Ingredients for the Cake:

3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 c. applesauce
2 Tbsp. sugar
1  egg
1 egg white
1/4 c. Truvia baking blend
1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
3 Tbsp. butter
1 cup fresh blueberries


Gently mixed batter...


Ingredients for Crumb Topping:

1/2 c. flour
1 Tbsp. Splenda brown sugar blend
1 Tbsp.  Truvia baking blend
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. butter, melted


Cinnamon Crumb Topping


Preheat the oven to 350.  Lightly spray or grease an 8 inch square pan and set aside. (I use EverBake spray from King Arthur Flour - I love it!)

In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, applesauce, egg, egg white, sugar and Truvia baking blend.  Whisk together.

In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and baking powder.  Add the 3 Tbsp. butter and cut in with a pastry blender or fork until well combined and crumbly.  At this point I like to toss in the blueberries so they will get a light coating of flour and not sink to the bottom when baking.  Then make a well in the center of the bowl and add the yogurt mixture.  Gently mix with a spatula or wooden spoon just until the ingredients are combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.

Mix the dry topping ingredients together and then add the melted butter and mix with a fork until everything is crumbly.  Sprinkle over the top of the batter.

Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack and wait 10 minutes before cutting (if you can - the temptation is overwhelming!!)

I have been making a LOT of blueberry recipes this summer, and there are undoubtedly more to come, but so far this is my absolute favorite one!


This is one of those times I wish I could share the out of the oven smell.......Mmmmmmm!!


It's as good as it looks!!


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment