Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus - Party Time!!

The time has come and I have moved into a new decade of my life - ouch!!

I knew that some of my kids were coming over to take me out to dinner to celebrate, so  I needed a quick appetizer beforehand.  I had seen a lot of different recipes for hummus and decided that this was the time to make some. And all I can say is I will never buy it again - it is just TOO easy to prepare and oh SO good!

And there is A SECRET to the smoothest hummus ever.  Ready?  Remove the skins! Simple right?



The Secret..... The Skins!!!

First of all,  I should now admit that I had no idea garbanzo beans had skins!!  Did you?  And they are not tedious to get off - you just hold one and sort of pop it off!!  I even took a photo of the skins to show you how they come off in one piece.  Now I suppose you could say I have way too much time on my hands if I am "peeling" garbanzo beans.... and there are times you would be right, but not this time!  I wanted to be sure I could make creamy hummus as I was missing the tahini paste that supposedly adds flavor AND creaminess.  So I did some online research and discovered this cool secret.  And the verdict from all who tried it was a resounding YES - it was worth it - and it was delicious!!!



The prep - yummy dippers, simple ingredients

ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS

Adapted from Table for Two

1 can garbanzo beans, drained (reserve liquid)
1/2 - 2/3 cup roasted red peppers
1 tsp. Borsari salt or a high quality salt combination
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 Tbsp. reserved bean liquid
1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/8 - 1/4 tsp. cumin
1/8 tsp. paprika
juice of one lemon

Put all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until well mixed.  If you have time, refrigerate for 1-2 hours so the flavors can meld. You will LOVE this!!



The finished product......So incredibly delicious (and don't you LOVE those napkins???)

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment