Thursday, August 8, 2013

Peach Maple Breakfast Bread Pudding

This time of year I tend to overbuy fresh fruit.  I cannot get enough of it and forget that one person can just eat SO much fruit until I get home from the store and start to put it all away into the bins that are already brimming with fruit! What was I thinking?  But it looks SO good and smells SO good, I just cannot resist it.  I think subconsciously I realize that in another month or so the pickings will be slim and it will be back to just apples and berries!  So....... time to use up some peaches.

I usually make my own bread, but have not yet ventured into the world of challah or brioche so I cheated and bought it. I plan, during the cooler months, to experiment more with my bread making and master at least one of those.  It's just dough - right?  How hard can it be??


Peach Maple Breakfast Bread Pudding

adapted from Piece of Cake

1 (1 lb) loaf of challah or brioche, cut into 1" cubes
6 large or extra large eggs
*2 cups vanilla coconut milk (or regular milk - your choice)
3/4 cup Coffeemate Girl Scout Caramel and Coconut
1/2 cup pure maple syrup (use grade B for the most intense flavor)
1 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups cubed, peeled peaches (2 medium size)

* The original recipe calls for 2 3/4 cups milk - I just split the difference between the coconut milk and the CoffeeMate creamer.

Preheat oven to 375.  Grease a 13x9" pan and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, creamer, maple syrup, almond extract, and salt and whisk until well blended.  Add the bread cubes and gently blend using a rubber spatula, coating the bread cubes. Then fold in the peaches.  Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and let sit for 10 minutes to allow the bread to soak up the liquid.

Bake uncovered for about 50-60 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown,  and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before cutting.

Reheats well the next day!




Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment