Saturday, July 6, 2013

Creme Brulee Muffins

I have really been enjoying experimenting with the many muffin flavors out there.  With my lemon tree on hiatus temporarily (the buds are bursting and little green citrus are emerging so it won't be long...), I have been forced to show my taste buds that there are flavors other than lemon -  not that I will ever give that up as one of my favorites!!

So..... this recipe for Creme Brulee muffins has been calling to me ever since I initially saw it.   I have made it one two three four  and yes...  five times in the past month or so . Yes, I was THAT determined to get it right. The first time I made the jumbo muffin size but only layered the crumb topping in the middle once.  I am glad I did it that way as it was just enough. Because I made some substitutions, the dough was REALLY thick (it is supposed to be thick but not like it was).  The second time I  made the regular muffin size so I wouldn't feel quite as guilty when I hate a WHOLE muffin.  I really try not to overindulge when sampling, but sometimes...... I just don't want to care!  I made progress, but it was still missing something.

Attempt number three was still a bit dry and I was trying SO hard to get it right.  It's not that there was anything really wrong with it, but I was looking for it to be a little lighter.  The original recipe was great, but of course I had to fool around with perfection!!  LOL  Well, the third time was not the charm!!  Nor was the fourth... it was close but just a bit too heavy.

FINALLY, the fifth time nailed it.  Phew!!!  I have been substituting Greek yogurt for the sour cream.  This time I used the Fage lowfat plain to see if that made a difference - and it did!  Up until now I had been using a variety of Greek yogurt flavors - vanilla, honey vanilla, plain  - but they were all non fat.  My neighbor who is my taste tester/critic (in the most helpful way) had suggested that maybe I needed that fat component several batches ago - but it took me a while to give it a try - and that was clearly the difference.  Thank goodness for an honest critic!!

This last time I made the jumbo variety and just layered the crumb mixture once in the middle and then on top. Here is the recipe I used:



Creme Brulee Muffins

inspired and adapted from Chef In Training

BATTER INGREDIENTS:

5 Tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup Fage (2%) plain lowfat yogurt
1/3 cup Creme Brulee creamer (CoffeeMate)
1  egg
1 Tbsp. King Arthur vanilla bean crush
 1 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

SUGAR CRUMB FILLING/TOPPING:

1/4 cup COLD butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 Tbsp. mini cinnamon chips (King Arthur)

First make the sugar crumb filling.  In a medium bowl, combine the flour and sugars.  Cut in the COLD butter until the mixture is crumbly. Then toss in the mini cinnamon chips and  mix well.  Set aside.

Preheat oven to 425.

In a large bowl cream the softened butter and sugar.  Add the egg and beat well.  Next add the Greek yogurt, creme brulee creamer and vanilla bean crush and blend well.

In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.

Pour half of the flour mixture into the batter and stir with a wooden spoon just until combined.
Then add the rest of the flour and stir until just combined. The batter will be very thick - don't worry!


Grease a large muffin tin with cooking spray (I love the Everbake spray from King Arthur flour - it last a long time and does a great job).  Drop just enough batter into the bottom of each cup just to cover.



First layer of batter and crumb mixture

Sprinkle some crumb mixture (about a heaping tablespoonful) over the batter and then cover with the remaining batter. (you can make an additional  layer if you are feeling ambitious!).  Take the remaining crumb mixture and divide over the tops of the six muffins.  Press the crumb mixture into the batter a bit so it will cook into the batter and not all fall off when they are done baking!

Bake at 425 for five minutes.  Lower the temperature to 375 and bake another 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Let the pan cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then remove from the pan and finish cooling.



The kitchen smelled soooooo good!



The first bite - tender and flavorful!


This was moist and delicious, with flavor layers of cream, vanilla and cinnamon.






Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment