Sunday, March 25, 2018

Shrimp Parmesan with Homemade Bucatini Pasta

I don't cook shrimp often because it can be finicky - ok so I am the one who is the problem here.  Shrimp takes so little time to cook that I often get distracted and end up with a less than delectable rubbery shrimp.  Not a good thing.  So this night I was determined to keep my eye on it and cook it quickly - and lo and behold - it was perfection.  Fear of shrimp - gone - or at least diminished!

I have also been enjoying making my own pasta - not sure I will EVER buy another bagged or boxed pasta unless I need a shape I cannot substitute. What amazes me after all of these years of being afraid to make pasta, is that it is SO easy and so delicious.  There really is nothing like FRESH!!

The recipe called for linguine, but I wanted to try the bucatini die in my Kitchen Aid pasta maker because it looked like fun - no other reason - why not make it all about the fun?!?  So I made the dough in the mixer and ran it through the pasta extruder and let it sit while waiting til it was closer to dinner.  I wanted to have it ready in advance so I could just add it to the sauce easily and not have my timing off.


Just look at those beautiful strings of pasta - so.much.fun.


The pasta strands are resting on a floured sheet of parchment 


So back to the shrimp.  I sautéed it in a mixture of butter and olive oil until it was done (literally about 2-3 minutes) and put it in foil to keep warm.  The rest of the details are below.


CREAMY PARMESAN BUCATINI WITH SHRIMP

adapted from Cooking Classy

8 oz. medium shrimp, peeled and cleaned
3 T. butter
3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1/2 onion, finely chopped
3 c. water
1 c. half and half (or 1/2 c. heavy cream and 1/2 c. whole milk)
1 c. shredded Parmesan cheese (freshly shredded is the BEST)
2 T. chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste
12 oz. pasta (your favorite - recipe for Bucatini below)

Melt 1 T. butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionally and watch carefully.  As soon as the shrimp is opaque, transfer it to a piece of foil and wrap it to keep it warm.

Add the remaining 2 T butter to the skillet and melt. Add the chopped onion and cook for 6-8 minutes until the onion is translucent.  Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Then add the water,hald and half, noodles and season with salt and pepper.  Bring to a gentle boil,, stirring frequently until the noodles are cooked.  If using fresh pasta, they will cook in 3-5 minutes. Keep stirring as the sauce will thicken. Remove from heat when the pasta is cooked and add in the shredded Parmesan cheese.  The cheese may clump initially, but continue stirring until the sauce is smooth again.  Thin with a little half and half or milk if needed.  Add the cooked shrimp, toss gently and sprinkle the chopped fresh parsley on top.  Serve immediately.


FRESH PASTA DOUGH - BUCATINI

from the Kitchen Aid website

Love how this photo shows the holes in the bucatini - 
so this pasta can really soak up a sauce!

4 large eggs
1 T. water
3 1/2 c. flour, sifted
1/2 t. salt

Using the flat beater (paddle) of the mixer, mix all of the ingredients in a stand mixer at the speed of two for about 30 seconds.

Exchange the paddle beater for the dough hook and continue mixing on speed 2 for two minutes.  The dough should start to pull away from the sides of the bowl. If not, add 1 tsp of water at a time and knead a bit before adding more. The dough should be pliable, but not sticky.  You should be able to pinch a small piece in between two fingers and it should stay together when pinched, not stick to the fingers or be crumbly and fall apart.

Take the dough out and hand knead it for about 2 minutes. Cover in plastic wrap and let it rest for about 20 minutes.  Follow manufacturer's instructions to make the desired pasta shape.



Good enough to eat??  You bet!!  Try this soon...

I am so glad there were leftovers because it was THAT GOOD!  Sent a serving home with Rob and have enough left over for my dinner tonight.  I usually don't get excited about what's for dinner, especially when I am eating alone, but this dish I am eager to eat again and think it will be on the repeat menu soon!  (Well after I wrote this I took the leftover down to my neighbor.......so SHE enjoyed what was left.  Hence, no beautiful pic of just one serving but will do that next time.)  Will definitely be on the spring and summer menus!

Enjoy!! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment