Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup -


I combined two recipes and also changed a few things...... it was delicious!

This recipe caught my eye a few months ago and I continued to see other food bloggers coming up with variations.  I had never had gnocchi (*gasp* - I know) so I wanted to try that, but also wanted to wait for a cold "soup" day.  I love soup, but when I make it, I want the weather to at least be in the low 60s (yes I know - that is spring weather for some of you - but in southern California, that is our winter weather - 50s and 60s).  I am not complaining, and I really love it when it gets cold aka "California cold"!!

We have had a cool March, so I have been making soup a lot which makes me a happy gal.  This is a delicious recipe that I am happy to share - and there are more to come. (homemade pasta next!)

CREAMY CHICKEN GNOCCHI SOUP


16 oz. mini potato gnocchi (you can use regular - I just like the size of the mini)
4 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2-3/4 c. chopped onion
1/2 -2 c. sliced baby carrots (I used about 12-15 baby carrots as I always have those on hand)
3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 c. sliced mushrooms (optional - I love the flavor they add)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. fresh chopped thyme
1 tsp. fresh chopped rosemary
1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
6 Tbsp. flour
4 c. (1 quart) half and half
4 c. chicken broth  *See Note Below
2 handfuls baby spinach, roughly chopped
2 chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded (poach and reserve the water - perfect broth!)
1-2 tsp. salt to taste
1/2 tsp, ground pepper to taste
grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the gnocchi 3-4 minutes.  The gnocchi will float to the top as they are done. Take them out with a slotted spoon and place on a parchment lined baking pan and set aside.  Try to separate them so they don't stick together.


These are mini gnocchi but they worked really well in this recipe.

In a Dutch oven, melt the butter and add the olive oil. .  Add the onion, carrots, celery and cook, stirring occasionally until tender..  Then add the garlic, thyme, rosemary and mushrooms and cook gently for 1-2 minutes. (the mushrooms will finish cooking in the soup).

Stir in the flour, mix well and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
Continue to stir while pouring in the half and half.   Then add the grated nutmeg.

Increase the heat to simmer, stirring until thick.  Then pour in the chicken broth and heat until the soup has thickened slightly, stirring occasionally.

Add the chopped spinach, shredded chicken, cooked gnocchi and salt and pepper.  Cover and cook until the spinach has wilted.

Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.

*Measure the reserved liquid from poaching the chicken.  If not 4 cups, add enough water to measure 4 c. and add 1 tsp per cup of powdered instant chicken broth or 1 chicken bouillon cube per cup water).

Enjoy!











Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment