Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Asparagus Risotto - Pressure Cooker Style

Well I finally did it - I took two recipes and created something I can call my own! Will wonders never cease?!?

First of all, I have to thank my neighbor for reminding me that I even HAVE a pressure cooker!  I love it when I use it, but am clearly guilty of "out of sight out of mind" syndrome!


Thanks to a recipe from Skinnytaste, I knew what I needed to make with some beautiful fresh asparagus that I had picked up at Trader Joes.  However her recipe was the long version over the stovetop.  So I found a similar recipe from "Bob Warden's Slow Food Fast" cookbook and combined the two and I think that worked about as perfectly as it could have!

Risotto Ingredients

Asparagus Risotto (Pressure Cooker Style!)


1 lb. fresh asparagus
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. butter
2 cloves minced garlic
2 shallots, finely chopped (or one very large one as shown in the picture!)
2 cups Arborio rice
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup white wine (I used Sauvignon Blanc)
4 tsp. lemon juice
zest of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp. Borsari seasoning (or more to taste)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, rough chopped

Wash the asparagus well and cut the tips off about the 1 1/2"  length.  Set aside.  Cut the bottom stalks off at about 2"  and discard.   Cut the remaining stalks into 1/2" pieces and set aside separately from the tips.

I have a Cooks Essentials pressure cooker and it has a "brown" setting, so used that for the sauteeing steps. Heat the oil and butter and sautĂ© the chopped shallots and minced garlic for about 2 minutes. Then add the uncooked rice and  asparagus stalk pieces (the 1/2" pieces) and cook for a minute or so, stirring continuously.
Waiting for the liquid ingredients and the pressure!


Add the remaining ingredients with the exception of the Parmesan cheese, parsley and asparagus tips.  Lock the pressure cooker, be sure the pressure is on high, and cook for 7 minutes.

While waiting for the pressure cooker, put the asparagus tips in a small bowl, cover with water and microwave on high for about 2 minutes.  Drain immediately.

So excited to actually get a photo of the "quick release" of the steam!
When the risotto is done, perform a quick release to let all of the steam out of the pressure cooker as quickly as possible.  Remove the lid, stir the contents as there may be some residual liquid on the top which will be instantly absorbed, then add the cooked asparagus tips, Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.  Add salt and pepper to taste if needed and serve immediately.

Creamy risotto almost ready to be eaten...

Chopped parsley and shaved parmesan


This is incredibly creamy and good.  Will serve approximately 6.


Adorned with the asparagus tips

And the final touch - more shaved parmesan and parsley for color!

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. Looks delish...may have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you would love it! If you do try it, lmk how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We want Food!
    We want Food!
    We want Food!
    We want Food!
    We want Food!
    We want Food!
    We want Food!
    We want Food!
    **U**
    Nance

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Nance!!! If it would make it through the mail I would definitely send you some!!!

    ReplyDelete