Friday, June 17, 2016

No Churn Roasted Berry Vanilla Bean Ice Cream




Finally I am starting to do more cooking and baking.  Ok - well I am not really sure that ice cream falls into the cooking or baking category - but will stretch a little for this new recipe.  Actually the berry mix is a beautiful blend that was roasted in the oven , so I did a minimal amount of cooking! And O...M...G...!  If I had known that roasting berries would have produced the most delicious, intoxicating smell ever... I would have done it ages ago. 

I actually made this a couple of weeks ago and it is honestly one of the best flavor combos I have had in a while... maybe EVER!  (Full disclosure - there are very few ice cream flavors that I don't like, especially when they involve berries of any kind.  And I really am a vanilla purist. To me, there is nothing better than real vanilla ice cream.   So in all fairness, I have to say that this is a shortcut vanilla base, and one that I would make again, but only in a pinch.  I love the REAL vanilla with the scraped vanilla beans and cream and yes, even the making of the custard.  It's a process, but one that turns out fabulous results.)

BUT.... on those days when it's just too darned hot to stand over a stove and/or you are just too tired to put out the effort it takes for the longer version, this is a great substitute - really.  And the roasted berries take it over the top.  And with temperatures hitting the 90s here on the beach this weekend and into next week, I am glad I still have some of this in the freezer (and a few other varieties I will share soon).

This honestly is a MUST TRY. And I am sure you could substitute with peaches, nectarines and raspberries, ( a great flavor combination),,,,you name it!!

NO CHURN VANILLA BEAN ICE CREAM WITH ROASTED BERRIES

adapted from Food Fanatic


Roasted Berry Sauce:

1 quart fresh strawberries (halved)
1 pint fresh blueberries
2 pints fresh blackberries
1/3 c. organic natural cane sugar
1 t. Madagascar bourbon pure vanilla powder (you can use extract if you don't have the powder, but the powder really mixes beautifully and is nice to have on hand)
1/8 t. ground cardamom

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  In a large bowl, mix the berries, sugar, vanilla and cardamom gently in a folding motion so as not to crush the berries.


Fresh berries - still "raw"

Pour the mixture into a large baking pan (I used a 1/2 sheet pan that was the perfect size) and spread the berries so they are not layered on top of each other, as much as possible.

Bake for 20-35 minutes or until the fruit is soft.  Allow to cool completely and then cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.




Roasted berries.......wish you could smell them!

NOTE:  You may want to hide all of your teaspoons, tablespoons, ladles - anything that will make it easy for you to literally devour this pan of berry lusciousness. I don't normally get weak in the knees over food, but this..... THIS is just beyond words.  It would be fabulous on its own mixed into yogurt, or a smoothie, or over pound cake - the list is endless.

Vanilla Ice Cream Base:

2 c. whipping cream
1 - 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp. vanilla bean paste (takes the vanilla to the next level)
1/2 c. roasted berry sauce, gently mashed

In the bowl of a stand mixer (fitted with the whisk attachment), whip the cream until it holds stiff peaks.  That should take about 4 minutes.




A yummy mixer concoction...

Turn the mixer down to low and slowly stream in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla bean paste.  Continue to mix until combined, about 1 minute.

Pour the ice cream base into a freezer safe container *(I love the Tovolo containers that you can buy from Amazon).  Spoon a 1/2 c. of roasted mashed berries over the ice cream and use a small knife to swirl the berries into the base.  Cover with a piece of parchment paper set on top (to prevent ice from forming) and then close it tightly with the lid.  Freeze overnight.





You can see how the COLD ice cream is already freezing the juice from the berries!


I promise - you will LOVE this!















Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment