Sunday, March 15, 2015

First Watercolor Card......



A month or so ago, I spoke of a dear friend who didn't get her birthday card in time because I made a Valentine card for my new grandson instead. And she ever so graciously accepted my inability to create two entirely different cards in the same time period.  I am so blessed to have understanding friends!

I wanted to be sure to make her belated birthday card extra special.  So why did I think that now was the time to try an entirely new technique that I have never ever tried before - and experiment with different media  - and try to find the print and cut and hope that printing on watercolor paper would work.  Let's just make this project as challenging as possible, right?  Well that's what I do!  And I think I succeeded -it just took extra time.  And the card finally arrived at its proper destination so I can now share its journey!

I recently added the Spectrum Aqua Markers to my craft collection. I have their regular alcohol markers and their blendable pencils (Spectrum Noir) that I also love and I have been watching videos on all three, trying to improve my questionable skills!  I find the Aqua Markers the most forgiving and have been playing around with the best way to use them. I like to scribble the colors on acetate, spritz the paint with water and then color lightly on the watercolor paper, adding more color as needed. This paper is hot press and I was told it was easier to use because it is smoother. I will be experimenting with hot and cold press papers going forward to see which I like better.

What surprised me is how easy it was to print a digi image on my laser printer.  I had to trim the 9x12 watercolor paper to fit and used a lighter weight (90 lb) but it printed perfectly and the ink did not bleed when I added the water color - success!!


A close up of the watercoloring. Digi image is from Fred She Said.
Cut file is from Birds Cards.
Solid colored paper is from Paper Temptress.
Center of flower is highlighted with Wink of Stella glitter pens.


I am looking forward to working with these markers a lot more - and I love that this line of watercolor markers offers a wide range of colors - and they are easy to blend to create even more colors.


I put the magnolia on pop dots to give the card a little dimension and added
some flat back pearls - my default embellishment.




Happy Belated Birthday, my dear Georgia friend!





Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment