Sunday, March 9, 2014

Surprisingly Good Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

I realize the title of this post makes no sense.   There is absolutely nothing surprising about the fact that bananas and chocolate are good together.  It's like peanut butter and jelly, cinnamon and sugar, cheese and crackers....... it's a perfect pairing.

But the surprise to me, was what a difference a little change in a recipe can make.  I had very ripe bananas that were literally screaming to be used.  I wanted to try something different and found a relatively simple recipe on Real Life Dinner .  But I decided to tweak it a little.  I am a huge fan of the burgundy chocolate chunks from King Arthur, but decided just to put one on top of each muffin and stay with the mini chocolate chips in the batter so the chocolate would not be overwhelming. But what I did want to add was the flavor of brown sugar to the muffin, but not just any brown sugar.  I am a huge fan of muscovado sugar so I used a 3:1 ratio with that and the granulated sugar keeping the total sugar required the same.  The flavor ended up so rich and moist - and I am eager to incorporate it into more recipes when I want that added "wow"!



BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS

3 large ripe bananas
1 tsp. vanilla bean crush
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup muscovado sugar (can substitute with light or dark brown sugar)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2-3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
burgundy chunks for garnish (incredible dark chocolate chunks from King Arthur Flour)

Preheat the oven to 375.
Mash the bananas well and then add the vanilla, sugars, and egg and mix until well combined.  Add the slightly cooled melted butter.

In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and whisk until blended.  Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix gently just until the dry ingredients are moist and mixed.  Fold in the mini chocolate chips.

Spoon the batter into a prepared (lightly greased or paper lined) muffin pan. Place one burgundy chunk in the center of each muffin and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then remove from pan and finish cooling,.  Waiting for them to cool completely is the hard part!

Makes 12 muffins


This is definitely a comfort food.  It is great in the morning with a cup of coffee, as a snack in the middle of the day, or even a late night treat. And they stay moist for days.  I have clearly found a new favorite way to use my neglected bananas!  If you have not tried muscovado sugar, it is worth the search.  It adds such a depth to baked goods.  I think I have become a dark brown sugar snob!



Rich deliciousness... You have to try these....... NOW......

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment