Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Crafting and Generosity in the Wake of Harvey




I have been so touched by the amazing generosity of the crafting community the past week. So many companies (especially the small ones) have been sending a percentage of profits to TX or creating groups of items where proceeds will go to help.  It is just a reminder that it doesn't always need to be a large gift to make a difference; a lot of small gifts add up as well and bring help in just the same way.

In that vein, I was reading a post from Patricia at A Little Hut.  She lives in the Houston area and luckily is okay, but she has been spending a lot of her time volunteering to help others who did not fare as well.  She also spent sleepless nights during the howling winds - so she drew.  Her story is here.

I loved the simple but stately qualities of her bird (the state bird of Texas) and wanted to use it to celebrate a birthday.  Out of tragedy and sadness, good things can happen.  And I am hoping this bird will bring joy to the recipient.

In her details about her creation with the bird, she didn't have perfect shade she wanted for one of the colors in the leaves. So she took a colored pencil and made the shade she wanted.  OMG - a lightbulb went off,  Why did I never think of that - I can create the colors I need with pencils, markers or watercolors.Duh!!  And it just so happened that I ran out of the silver Mica paper (from Paper Temptress) that I wanted for the lighter gray color, so I grabbed the opal Mica paper and colored it with a marker.  And you will see the unexpected but fun results!


A little closeup of the bird - see the mottled gray coloring? That is the marker colored paper. 
I love it and can't wait to try it again with other mediums.
I also embossed the background to give it some interest,
and added sequins and clear butterflies from the 28 Lilac Lane collection.



I attached the bird with foam dots to give it some dimension. I also cut an
extra layer of the stems out of black and offset it to define the leaves a bit more.


Thank you, Patricia, for all you are doing to help those who are suffering so much devastation.  
God bless Texas (and Florida who may need all the prayers we can spare as well).
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment