Monday, June 23, 2014

Baked Zucchini Fries


My healthy and prolific zucchini plant - yes just one!


You can see some of the first in this photo...


Zucchini is bursting out all over and I couldn't make one more loaf of zucchini bread and none of my neighbors or friends want to see any more of it either! (recipes coming soon)... so.... when I found this recipe I knew it was the perfect thing to go with some grilled chicken breasts, and it was really perfect.  My results were a bit different because I used panko crumbs and real Parmesan cheese which were both a bit bulkier than the original recipe, but they were still delicious and fun to eat!

Zucchini Fries with Dipping Sauce

adapted from Yummy, Healthy, Easy
1/2 c. Panko breadcrumbs
1/2 c. finely grated/ground Parmesan cheese*
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Italian seasoning mix
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. flour
1/4 c. milk
4 medium zucchini

Dipping Sauce:
1/4 c. plain Greek yogurt**
1 1/2 tsp. dry ranch dressing mix
1 tsp. milk (optional)

Preheat the oven to 425.  Line a cookie sheet or baking pan with parchment paper. This step is a great mess saver!

In a small bowl, combine the Panko crumbs, Parmesan , spices and any leftover flour *.  Mix together.



Cut the ends off the zucchini and slice in half lengthwise. Depending on the size of your zucchini, cut each half into fourths or sixths and then cut in half again crosswise.

Pour the milk in a flat bowl.  Dip the zucchini sticks in the milk, and then dredge in the Panko-cheese mixture and place on the cookie sheet in a single layer.  When all are done, bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp..

While the zucchini is baking, mix the dipping sauce ingredients, adding the milk if needed to thin the dip.

Serve with the zucchini fries and enjoy. These were a fun treat!


Breaded and ready for the oven...


Golden brown done!


A plate of healthy tastiness...


*The original recipe called for powdered Parmesan cheese. I don't keep that in the house, so I grated a small amount of Parmesan cheese and then put it in my Vitamix blender to get an even finer grind.  Since it was a little moist, I added some of the 2 tsp. flour to absorb the moisture and help the cheese become as fine as possible.

Parmesan cheese ground fine in the Vitamix


**I have been making plain Greek yogurt in my Cuisinart yogurt maker for several months now and LOVE it.  The dip recipe was made using my homemade Greek yogurt. It is SO delicious and doesn't have any of the additives that you get when you buy it at the store.  More on my new addiction/pleasure/taste treat in the near future!


The cool tangy dip with the hot flavorful zucchini is the perfect summer duo

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment